SMC UK Announces New Managing Director
SMC Pneumatics (UK) Limited announces that after seventeen years leading the company, Steve Bangs has stepped down from his position as Managing Director. He is succeeded by the company’s Assistant Managing Director, Kevin O’Carroll. The changes took effect from 1st May 2015.
Steve Bangs joined Milton Keynes-based SMC as Sales Manager in 1984. He was appointed Managing Director 1998 and under his strong leadership, the UK subsidiary of Japanese-owned SMC Corporation has grown and survived significant global economic challenges. In 2014 he was promoted to the main board of Directors of SMC Corporation, with responsibility for SMC’s European operations. He will continue working for SMC in the capacity of Corporate Advisor.
Kevin O’Carroll takes over as Managing Director having gained experience in many of SMC UK’s functions during a 28 year career. After serving an engineering apprenticeship with Vauxhall, Kevin joined SMC in 1987 - attracted by an extensive, innovative product range and SMC’s reputation in the marketplace. He gained experience in several key areas of the business, culminating in promotion to Head of Operations in 1996, Assistant Managing Director in 2009 – and now, Managing Director.
Speaking of the handover, Steve Bangs commented: ‘After 31 years with SMC, it’s been very gratifying to be a part of the success and growth we have achieved. One thing that has stood out for me is the enthusiasm and support I have received from all of the staff here – support that I know Kevin will be able to rely on as he takes the reins.’
Kevin O’Carroll says he has no plans to make radical changes. ‘Steve will be a hard act to follow.
‘Our continued success is down to a number of factors, not least our excellent workforce and our constant investment in new product development. In the UK we follow the Japanese ethos and strive to build trust and respect with our customers and our employees. Over half of our employees have been with us for more than ten years and this stability gives us an excellent skills base plus the flexibility of a committed workforce that are willing to accommodate workflow changes. The calibre of our people in the UK is appreciated throughout the corporation and many of our team over the years have been actively sought out to work on European and Global projects to support SMC.’
Tel: 01908 563 888
Published in Valve User Magazine Issue 34
- Appointments - UK manufacturer Midland-ACS continues to invest in its people
- Safety Engineering Company Smith Flow Control has promoted Mike Fynes to Sales and Marketing Director
- BEL Valves appoints new Sales & Marketing Director
- APPOINTMENTS: BEL Valves expand into Australian Oil & Gas market
- APPOINTMENTS: BEL Valves appoints a new Area Sales Manager for Scotland (Aberdeen)
- APPOINTMENTS: Surface engineering technology company, Hardide Coatings Limited, has appointed Nick King as business development manager for UK and Europe.
- Weir Valves & Controls UKExpands sales and marketing team
- Appointment of Chief Executive Officer
- Emerson appoints Stuart Young
- Rotork appoints new Sales Manager for Network Systems