Rotork Valve Actuation Robust & Accurate
Robust and accurate Rotork valve actuation at the centre of advanced oil tanker VOC emission control system
The controlled release is often undertaken when the gas pressure approaches a pre-set point. However, it is not always clear at what pressure a manually controlled release should be stopped. Without this information, excess vapours can be released, causing air pollution and a loss of cargo.
To meet this challenge the VOCON Valve and Reporting System controls the vapour pressure in oil cargo tanks to minimise and fully control VOC emissions. Designed to comply with the latest international rules and regulations it is equipped with the most advanced reporting system available.
At the centre of the system, a venting control valve operated by a Rotork CMA electric process valve actuator is installed on the bypass line between the IG (Inert Gas) main pipeline and the mast riser.
In automatic mode the actuator modulates the valve position in response to a control signal from a pressure transmitter to control the vapour pressure in all the cargo tanks. This critical duty reduces VOC loss by maintaining a constant pressure in the cargo tanks during the voyage.
The compact and robust CMA actuator selected for this duty is environmentally sealed to IP67 and internationally certified for use in Zone 1 hazardous areas. The wide ambient operating temperature range of -20 to +65ºC facilitates long-term reliability and maintenance-free operation in the exposed environments experienced on the decks of oil tankers.
Accepting an industry-standard 4-20mA control signal, resolution is 0.2%, delivering the accurate, repeatable and backlash-free positional control demanded by the VOCON application.
Tel: +44(0)1225 733 200
Published in Valve User Magazine Issue 45
- Rotork introduces compact electric actuator solution for marine valve applications
- South East Water awards valve actuation framework agreement to Rotork
- New Flowserve Software Simplifies Actuator Configuration, Diagnostics: Flowserve Dashboard Allows Bluetooth® Connectivity with Limitorque MX and QX
- Emerson Enters into Supplier Services Agreement with Fluor Corporation to Provide Automation and Control Solutions and Services.
- Pakscan digital valve control goes wireless
- Rotork’s new CVA, mounted to a Metso valve
- Australia’s ‘Droughtbuster’ scheme chooses Rotork
- Rotork completes major valve actuation upgrade at one of Severn Trent’s water treatment works
- Flooding proves the watertight case for Rotork Actuators
- An Introduction to Networks Control systems for valve actuators