James Walker sets Benchmark
James Walker sets advanced RGD benchmark with New Generation elastomer technology launch.
The launch of the first of the James Walker New Generation elastomers at ONS 2010 has created a step-change in elastomer sealing performance for the oil and gas industry.
The launch followed a two year programme of intensive research, development and testing to provide real advances in performance and avoid compromised solutions where some material properties are advanced at the expense of others – a common feature of new materials development as competitors rush to make new improved claims.
With testing to establish the limits of the new polymer architecture still ongoing, FR68/90 has already exceeded Norsok compliance specifications, achieving a perfect test result not only at 8.40mm section at 100ºC but also at 5.33mm section at an elevated temperature of 150 ºC.
This enhanced Rapid Gas Decompression performance is not achieved at the expense of other material characteristics however. FR68/90 retains flexibility for ease of fitting and offers excellent sealability with compression set figures of just 8% after 24 hours @ +175°C and 10% after 24 hours @ +200°C.
Add to this, superb Amine and H2S resistance plus an operational temperature capability of -30ºC to +200ºC and FR68/90 has the capability to take elastomeric sealing into new territory, extending the use of elastomeric materials to larger sections than previously possible with no loss of RGD resistance – a factor that can eliminate the need for complex and costly re-engineering of components to accept physically larger solutions such as spring energised PTFE seals.
Although the New Generation polymer architecture significantly extends the performance envelope of elastomeric materials, these new materials will by no means replace the existing market leading materials in the James Walker range such as Elast-O-Lion® 101 and FR58/90 which remain the best available technology for many current oil and gas industry applications.
James Walker & Co Ltd, Tel: +44 (0)1270 536000
Published in Valve User Magazine Issue 15
- BVAA ‘OnTour’
- Does your packing set really need end rings?
- NEW Keystone BREWSEAL SEAT FOR HYGIENIC VALVES
- PPE ExpandsPPE Completes Research, Manufacturing and Training Facilities Expansion
- Precision Polymer Engineering: Introducing PPE
- Definitive guide published for rotary sealing applications
- PPE LAUNCHES NEW GENERATION LEAD-FREE, STEAM RESISTANT SEALS
- Design to get the best results from your fluid seals
- New Explosive Decompression Perfluoroelastomer for Oil and Gas Valves
- Emission Possible - Truflo Marine Invest in Positive Material Identification